This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Cooking Frenzy

Tonight I cooked up a storm. Not the best night to heat up the kitchen since it has been really warm here, but oh well.



First I made pizza for myself and Carlos with plenty of homemade pesto sauce (fresh basil, pinenuts, olive oil, and salt), Follow Your Heart vegan 'cheese' (I meant to get mozzerella flavor because when you run it through the food processor it makes a yummy ricotta-ish topping, but I must have spaced out in the grocery store because I ended up with monterey jack), walnuts, sundried tomatoes, olives, garlic powder (since I forgot to put garlic in the pesto), and Parma. It was really good, although I think Carlos prefers a traditional red sauce pizza.



I also made a loaf of my favorite bread. I've been trying to make homemade bread more often lately because vegan bread is so hard to find, and when you do find it, it tends to be really expensive. This bread works great for sandwiches, or for an indulgent breakfast treat, toast it and top with soy margarine and pumpkin butter - my favorite!

Spelt Bread

1-1/4 cups water
1-1/2 teaspoon yeast
2 tablespoons powdered soymilk
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon molasses
2 teaspoons unrefined sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2-1/4 cups whole-grain spelt flour
2 cups white spelt flour

I let my bread machine make the dough, but then I take it out after the dough cycle is finished, let it rise in a greased bread pan, and bake it in the oven (30-40 minutes at 350 degrees) because I don't like the loaf shape that my bread machine makes.


Right now I have a pie in the oven full of blueberries fresh from our very own front yard, and tomorrow I'm going to make a pot of Pa's Beans to take to Matt at work for dinner (along with the pie).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both looks so delicious! I really enjoy your recipes, I'm a vegan too :)
I have to try the pizza first

Sirpa K

Anonymous said...

Bring on the pie! The beans are good too.

Mamacita said...

You're like Betty Crocker: if she was vegan, artistically inclined, and really adorable.

Vegan_Noodle said...

The pizza sounds yummy, I love pesto on pizza. I just tried the FYH mozzerella on a pizza while in Boston, I'm going to have to buy some for my next pizza night! Thanks for the bread recipe, sounds delicious!