This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Found!!!

Guess what I found tonight!!! Can you spot Greta (our AWOL chicken) hiding behind all those leaves?


Pulling the leaves aside...


I finally located her nest tonight when she scampered out of the tall weeds at the edge of the woods at feeding time. I gave her a good pile of food and headed over to check out the nest. I wish I'd had my camera with me then but I was rushing to leave for a dinner date. There were about ten eggs in the nest.

Now we have to decide what to do about all of this. I'm planning to go out after dark tonight and attempt to move Greta and all of the eggs into a large dog crate lined with plenty of straw, so she will at least be safe from predators while we figure out what to do. We're considering taking some of the eggs away but leaving her a few and letting her hatch just a couple of chicks. We really don't want to end up with a ton of them, especially since it's very hard to have more than one rooster around, and some of the babies are bound to be boys.

The rest of the chickens were right where they belonged at bedtime, all lined up in their chicken house.


11:18 p.m. - UPDATE - Mission accomplished; mom and ten eggs safely in crate. Only pecked once.

No comments: