This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Since I'm sure you've all been waiting on pins and needles...

...to hear the results of my most recent contest, I probably shouldn't keep you in suspense any longer, even though I don't have a resolution yet to the question I posed.

(Drum roll please...) I chose at random, and the lucky winner is - Ellie! Ellie, you have $25 to spend in either my bead shop or my jewelry shop. Email me to let me know how you'd like to use your credit, and congratulations!

Thank you so much to everyone who participated. You guys had some great ideas, some of which I'm considering for my new line. Some of my favorite suggestions were the Sanskrit words, which was something I had never considered -
  • Karuna (which means kindness in Sanskrit)
  • Inika (which means little Earth in Sanskrit)
I have one other idea floating around in my head - a name nobody mentioned, so I'm curious to hear what you think of it...


To me, the word 'legacy' is really appropriate because it reflects the idea that everything we do (both in our business and personal lives) has an impact on the people, animals, and environment around us. It encourages a measure of consciousness about how our choices today will affect those who follow. And last but not least, it is appropriate to the jewelry as well, since these are higher-end, heirloom-quality pieces that can be passed down from generation to generation. (Also, down the road, I'd like to offer a service where you can send in old pieces and have them re-worked, and/or possibly start incorporating re-worked estate pieces that I find myself.)

Oh, and the layout I used above is totally preliminary - I'd play around more before settling on fonts, colors, etc.

So, I'm still undecided, but at least I have a few ideas. Please let me know what you think of these possibilities - both positives and negatives. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Legacy - Sounds good, it does make it sound high end(Rich) as well, which was missing in most of the suggestions.

I am glad you liked Karuna, that was my suggestion.

-rajani

Melissa M (Lagaz) said...

Legacy sounds like a really good choice for your designs. Even though we gave suggestions the name must come from you, right? That's what matters. It sounds high-end and I think it makes sense with what you want to do with your new line. Good luck!