This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sneak Peek

I'm working on a new website to better showcase my growing wedding ring collection. It's still in its early stages - none of the links work yet or anything, but if you care to take a peek and let me know what you think, check out these views of the main page and the wedding rings page.

I'm hoping to figure out how to create a little slide show on the main page, so it slowly scrolls through a variety of rings where that one big ring is right now. If anyone knows how to do that, feel free to share. :-)

I'm not sure if the font is readable on the wedding rings page; I may need to choose something different. When it's done, you'll be able to click on each of those rings (and more as I add them) to get more views of the piece and details about customization, pricing, etc.

If I can get my butt in gear, I'd like to launch the new site around the beginning of December. We'll see how that goes...

5 comments:

Marissa said...

The website looks great so far. Nice and clean. One suggestion, I viewed your website on two different monitors and the font is a little difficult to read. Just a suggestion!

Tamara said...

Thank you Marissa. Are you talking about the cursive font? I like the way it looks if it's large enough, but I wonder if on some monitors it's too small to be legible... I'll have to play around with it. :-)

Lisa said...

Hi Tamara,

Firsty your tutorials are great I love them.
Secondly new site looks good, are you using blogger again if so a slide show should be pretty easy.
Let me know if you are using blogger and if so I can hopefully talk you through it.

Lisa
lwcreations@yahoo.co.uk

Tamara said...

Thanks Lisa. :-) I'm actually not going to be using Blogger for the main site this time - the only way I know how to do it is with HTML. I'm building the images in InDesign, breaking the pages down and saving different parts as jpg files, then coding with HTML.

Nathalie said...

Hi Tamara, just another tip for checking how your website looks (including fonts, colors, etc) is make sure to look at it in both IE and Firefox. Things can look quite different and out of place depending which browswer people are using. There's a lot of Firefox and IE users out there, so check it in both. If you don't have Firefox, it's a quick easy download and install, and you can have both running on your computer and you can check the differences as to how your site displays in both, and believe me, there will be differences. So you can find a compromise between the two.

I think that the fonts on the names of the wedding rings page is a bit hard to read, but I think that's because it's presented in a PDF document? PDF creators don't seem to do so well with those types of fancy fonts.

Can't wait to see the final site, your rings look so beautiful, I love your work!