This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Food Ramblings

I haven't taken the time to post much vegan food related content here on my blog lately and I'm curious - do you miss it? I don't have a good sense of what percentage of my readership is here for the jewelry vs. here for the vegan food/lifestyle stuff (and I suppose there's probably some overlap). Anyways, I've been giving food a lot of thought lately so I thought I'd post a bit.

Basically, I've been inspired to put a stronger emphasis on whole foods in my diet after reading The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone, and I've also been slowly incorporating more macrobiotic recipes and philosophies into my diet and lifestyle.

One of the things that Alicia stresses in her book is that while processed whole grains (breads, pastas, etc.) are certainly a superior choice to white/refined grain products, we can do even better nutritionally by putting a higher priority on the grains in their truly unaltered state. This is one of those ideas that sounds so obvious and simple that I can't believe I have never heard it anywhere else, or thought of it myself. Yes, whole wheat bread is better than white bread, but a bowl of barley or brown rice is even better.

The book also encouraged me to incorporate more vegetables into my diet - both in sheer volume and in variety. I feel like I've always done a pretty good job of eating a decent amount of fruits and vegetables, but I go through phases where I do better or worse, and I think I have a tendency to go with more of the sweet fruits and less of the veggies.

And finally, I'm trying really hard to drastically reduce my processed sugar intake. It really is nasty stuff that does yucky things to your body. When I do have a craving for something sweet, I've been experimenting with using agave nectar or maple syrup in place of granulated sugar.

I've only been doing this for a few weeks but I feel really good about the changes I'm making and if there's any interest from you guys, I'd be happy to share some of the recipes/ideas that are bringing me the most enjoyment. Let me know. :-)

3 comments:

Nathalie said...

Hi T!

I'm definitely interested in recipes :)

I'm here for both... healthy foods for the body, and food for the eyes (your fabulous jewelry)

I use Maple syrup (mainly) and a bit raw (unprocessed) sugar in my decaf Teas.

Cheers!
Nat

Unknown said...

Tamara,
I'd love to hear more about it. And vegan recipes are always much appreciated!
Your first-adopt friend, Jennifer

Julia said...

I'm not vegan, but I'm interested. So I like the food posts, definitely!

Ohh and maple syrup - sooo good! I'm also trying to cut back on sugar (all types of sugar actually, including really sweet fruit). So yes - please share your recipes :)