This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

July Jewelry For Charity Recap & August Kick-off

I have been slacking on posting my jewelry for charity updates - I used to do it every month but it's been a while. I'm in a bit of a rush because I should be packing right now, but thought I would share the good news that in July, with your support, I raised $1,200 for PATH, bringing my total donations to-date to a whopping $20,391!!! I am so grateful to everyone who ordered jewelry from me in July, thereby adding to the help I am able to offer to oiled birds on the gulf coast.

August's featured charity is As Green As It Gets, a group focusing on economic development and environmentally sustainable agriculture in Guatemala. You can read about my personal experiences with this group here and here. They are an amazing group of people who are truly making a difference for a lot of families in Guatemala, and they need our support more than ever in the wake of several natural disasters that have befallen Guatemala in the past few months.

Here are some photos of Alberto, a Guatemalan coffee farmer we met on our trip in April - he took us on a tour of the fair trade coffee farm operated by his co-op, which is under the umbrella of As Green As It Gets. (By the way, his coffee converted me from a coffee hater to a once-or-twice-a-week-coffee-drinker.) :-)

With the coffee plants.

Showing us his bicycle-powered coffee bean de-husker.

No comments: